The internet is continually changing how everything works. The real estate industry has experienced some significant changes in the digital age.
According to Internet Live Stats, approximately 40% of the world’s population is connected to the internet. This is an increase from less than 1% in 1995.
The way Americans shop for homes has completely changed — so much so that more and more people think they can handle the process on their own, without a real estate agent.
Home buyers can find homes all by themselves using online real estate sites like Zillow. But that’s not all. They can easily find online mortgage lenders and get pre-qualified for loans — all without the help of a real estate agent.
This leads us to the big question: Are Realtors becoming extinct?
The answer is a resounding NO.
No matter how many online tools exist to help them, people will always be trepidatious about tackling real estate transactions on their own and will seek out some kind of human assistance.
But if you want to stay relevant in the internet age, you do need to update your strategies.
How To Stay Lucrative In The Digital Age
With the right technology and some unique tricks up your sleeve, you can differentiate yourself from other Realtors and avoid becoming obsolete. In short, you need to disrupt your own industry.
Nothing beats expertise
Having the right experience and expertise will place you far above any online site. You offer real value — not just convenience.
Your excellent knowledge of the area, your expert negotiating skills, top-notch people skills and other specialized skills will keep you relevant and in business even as technology continues to advance.
The truth of the matter is that despite what new technologies pop up, the value an agent can offer will always go above and beyond the confines of the web. So work your experience and expertise to your full advantage.
Leverage technology to serve clients better
Before you let new and intimidating technology dampen your spirit, ask yourself how you can use it to your benefit.
Technology doesn’t have to fully replace the role of an agent. Using technology can actually make you a more successful agent by allowing you to do your job better. You just need to know how to use it well.
Ask yourself; How can I use this technology to be more efficient and actually make more money?
Take advantage of technology that enables you to be more effective. For instance, having a strong social media presence and website allows you to reach out to more and varied clients in less time than traditional methods. Instead of shying away from such tools, use them to your benefit.
Use technology to improve client satisfaction. Online tools such as chatbots are a great way to offer instant customer support to your clients. They can get answers to simple queries, such as price and appointment booking, without having to speak to you in person. This will ease up the home-buying or selling process, making you a more valuable agent.
Mobile apps are also a great way to help your clients experience a more efficient and less stressful home-buying/selling process. Use them. The faster clients can complete the process, the better for them and the sooner you'll receive your commission check.
Be different: Use books
To remain relevant, you have to create a point of difference. You have to ensure that when a client interacts with you, you are memorable and not just another real estate agent.
How can you do that?
How can you prove yourself as an expert in your field and earn automatic respect from clients and potential clients?
What makes books great is that they have huge perceived value. People don’t throw away books. They may not read them as soon as they get them, but they won’t throw them away.
They may tuck them away somewhere, but most people aren't going to toss them in the trash. They're worth something, and they're worth something to the author's name.
First and foremost, clients will pick a Realtor based on their reputation. Very few Realtors are perceived to be honest. Books can help build your reputation and earn you trust.
Books will help you convince clients you’re not just another real estate agent using crude marketing gimmicks, but rather a professional who knows his or her stuff.
Giving your book to a seller or a buyer changes the game completely.
Advantages of using books:
- Creates a point of difference: Business cards and even websites are nice to have but won’t necessarily create a lasting impression in people’s minds. Hand out a book to potential leads instead of giving away your business card. People get business cards ALL THE TIME. With a book, you stand out. You'll leave the lead thinking, "Wow, this guy's got it together. He has his own book."
- They give you a foot in the door: Books are a great way to break the ice. With books, you stop cold calling and transition into warm calling. Send a copy of the book to all if your leads ahead of time, and let them make a connection with you before you even meet them in person. By the time you call them or schedule a meeting, clients will feel like they already know you because they read your book.
- They let you show value: By using valuable and credible information in your books that's useful to your clients, you show you're interested in not just landing business but really helping clients reach their goals of either selling their homes more quickly and at a higher price point or buying their dream homes.
- Show off your expertise: If you have a website or social media accounts, offer free copies of your book on them. Discuss the contents of the book and how it can be helpful to your clients. Use the platform to position yourself as the authority in your market. When you give away your book, it will separate you from your competition. That’s how a smart agent thinks!
- Get more listings: In due time, you'll start getting more listings because clients will remember you as the Realtor who sent them a book.
Not a MyBooks member yet? Here is everything you stand to gain when you invest in your business:
- License to use 14 real estate books as your own.
- Author website that ranks in Google.
- Your own blog with 100+ pre-written articles.
- Social media marketing templates.
- Home value website for capturing leads.
- Training strategies on how to use your books to get business.
Want a free sample of the book that will get you more listings? Click the link below.
Joe Nickelson is a real estate professional dedicated to helping home buyers and sellers achieve their dreams of owning property, and helping real estate agents stop using the sometimes-vicious tactics that weigh on their consciences. He believes that the Smart Agents books will, quite literally, change people’s lives for the better. Check out his full bio here!